Britain’s Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper is meeting Mr. Rubio to discuss defence and security issues in Washington as Mr. Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran. File | Photo Credit: AP Britain’s Foreign Minister Yvette Cooper will meet with U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday (February 20, 2026), after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of the Chagos Islands, which is home to a U.S.-UK air base. Last year British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one – Diego Garcia – through a 99-year lease that preserved U.S. operations at the base. Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Mr. Trump has since changed his mind several times. In January, Mr. Trump described it as an act of “great stupidity”, but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Mr. Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week. Ms. Cooper is meeting Mr. Rubio to discuss defence and security issues in Washington as Mr. Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the next 10 to 15 days, or “really bad things” will happen. The Diego Garcia base has recently been used for operations in the West Asia against Yemen’s Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza. Trump on Diego Garcia Although on Tuesday Mr. Rubio’s State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Mr. Trump said Britain was making a big mistake. “DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!” Mr. Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the base could be called upon in any future military operation to “eradicate a potential attack” from Iran. Under the conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia. On Thursday (February 19, 2026) Britain’s The Times newspaper reported that Mr. Trump’s latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law. Asked about The Times report, Britain’s Ministry of Defence said on Thursday (February 19, 2026) it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported the ongoing political process between the U.S. and Iran. Published – February 20, 2026 06:14 pm IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Yadgir Deputy Commissioner Harshal Bhoyar chaired a preliminary meeting at Yadgir on February 20. GOAT film review: Have a ball with the A-team