Leader of the Opposition V.D. Satheesan on Wednesday came down heavily on the State government, alleging “mystery” behind the decision to extend bar operating hours without even a discussion in the Cabinet and accusing the ruling party of misusing government machinery for electoral gains.

Speaking to mediapersons at Chelakkara, he said any decision regarding the extension or unification of bar timings should be taken only after detailed deliberations. While bar owners had earlier demanded a uniform timing, he alleged that taking such a decision on the eve of the elections would inevitably invite suspicion. He also claimed that even the increase in the number of tourism centres had earlier drawn criticism for ‘favouring the bar lobby.’

‘Swift approval’

Mocking the pace of governance, he remarked that those who say the government lacks speed should look at how swiftly approvals are granted in such matters, citing the rapid clearance given to a company that applied from Delhi for the Palakkad brewery. Over the past decade, he alleged, nearly a thousand bars have been sanctioned and retail outlets have expanded across the State, warning that the spread of liquor would have serious social consequences in the State. He further accused the government of abandoning its earlier promise of gradual liquor restriction and moving instead in the opposite direction by increasing the number of bars.

Navakerala survey

Referring to the Navakerala survey controversy, he said the court verdict substantiates the allegations raised by the Opposition. He termed it a “shameful exercise” of carrying out election-related activities at public expense and said the issue was challenged in court on those grounds.

He also alleged that volunteers were being directed to ensure the government’s return to power, and criticised the spending of crores on publicity campaigns and hoardings despite the State’s financial strain. Instructions to distribute government pamphlets in tribal colonies through forest officials, he claimed, would also be legally challenged. “What a disgraceful manner of misusing government systems for election purposes,” he said.

Sabarimala gold theft

On the Sabarimala gold theft case, he expressed concern that all accused, including the main suspects, may eventually walk free, turning the probe into a farce. If the accused are released, he asked, how would evidence be secured? He alleged that despite the Supreme Court denying bail, the Special Investigation Team had facilitated conditions that could enable the accused to obtain natural bail, raising fears that the case might ultimately collapse due to lack of evidence.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *