Chief Minister N. Rangasamy has written to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) seeking diplomatic intervention in securing the release of two groups of 25 Tamil fishermen who have been taken into custody by Sri Lankan authorities. In a letter to Union Minister for External Affairs S. Jaishankar, Mr. Rangasamy said one group of 14 fishermen, including eight from Puducherry and the rest from Tamil Nadu, were taken into custody and their vessel confiscated by Sri Lankan Navy on February 15. Another group of fishermen, including two from Karaikal and the rest from Tamil Nadu, had been detained and their boat impounded by the Sri Lankan Navy while engaged in fishing aboard a mechanised boat on February 12. The letter, which also shared the particulars of the seized vessels and the names of the fishermen, urged for immediate Central intervention in securing their early release and safe return. Published – February 17, 2026 07:27 pm IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Over ₹189 crore-worth development works carried out in Attur union in five years, says Collector Forest dept. appoints liaison officers in 14 panchayats in Kannur