Syrian Army members. File. | Photo Credit: Reuters Islamic State claimed responsibility on Saturday (February 21, 2026) for two attacks targeting Syrian Army personnel in northern and eastern Syria, as the militant group signalled what it described as a new phase of operations against the country’s leadership. The militant group said on its Dabiq news agency that it had targeted “an individual of the apostate Syrian regime” in the city of Mayadin in Deir al-Zor province using a pistol, and attacked two other personnel with machine guns in the northern city of Raqqa. Syria’s Defence Ministry said in a statement that a Syrian Army soldier and a civilian were killed on Saturday (February 21) by “unknown assailants.” A military source told Reuters the soldier belonged to the Army’s 42nd Division. The attacks come amid a sharp escalation by IS against Syria’s leadership under President Ahmed al-Sharaa, a former al-Qaeda leader who broke with the group in 2016 before leading a coalition of Islamist factions that overthrew President Bashar al-Assad at the end of 2024. On Saturday (February 21) evening, IS released a recorded statement by its spokesperson, Abu Hudhayfa al-Ansari, who said Syria had “moved from Iranian occupation to Turkish-American occupation.” The group said it had begun a “new phase of operations” in Syria, describing Sharaa as a “watchdog” of the global coalition and vowing that his fate would be no different from that of Assad. Sharaa signed Syria’s accession to the global coalition to defeat IS during a visit to the U.S. last November, when he met President Donald Trump. The latest incidents come two days after IS claimed responsibility for another attack in Deir al-Zor that killed a member of the Interior Ministry’s internal security forces and wounded another. Several social media accounts and Telegram channels supporting IS have in recent hours called for intensified attacks using motorcycles and firearms. IS has carried out six attacks against Syrian government targets since the fall of Assad. A report by the U.N. Office of Counter-Terrorism released last week said Sharaa and two senior cabinet ministers had been targeted in five foiled assassination attempts by IS. Published – February 22, 2026 10:17 pm IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Mandapathur fishing village in Karaikal grapples with poor infrastructure, unsafe water ISL: Chhangte earns full points for Mumbai