A view of SNR district hospital in Kolar.

A view of SNR district hospital in Kolar.
| Photo Credit: FILE PHOTO

The CT and MRI services in several district hospitals in Karnataka, which were disrupted after a private service provider halted operations, have resumed through alternative arrangements made by the State government.

The Health Department said patients would not be affected as scanning facilities have been mapped to nearby government and empanelled private institutions within the same district.

Krsnaa Diagnostics Ltd. has been providing CT scan services in 13 district hospitals and MRI services in five district hospitals under a PPP model since 2017. The company stopped services from February 18, citing non-payment of dues.

The disruption triggered protests at some hospitals, including in Kolar and Yadgir, where patients and their relatives alleged that they were left running from pillar to post for scans. At the SNR district hospital in Kolar, family members gathered on the premises demanding restoration of services.

A relative of a patient who took part in the protest said the patient has been struggling to get a scan for the last two days. “Today, they are demanding ₹6,000 for a scan. How can the poor afford it? Are government hospitals only for name sake?” he asked.

A similar situation was reported at the Yadgir Mother and Child Hospital (Old district hospital), where attendants complained of uncertainty over getting diagnostic tests done as the company has stopped service there too.

Alternative arrangements

In a statement, the department said it had made alternative arrangements with government and private medical colleges and hospitals empanelled under the Suvarna Arogya Suraksha Trust (SAST). As per existing norms, the CT and MRI services are being provided free of cost to BPL patients and at a 30% subsidy for APL patients at the identified centres.

The company has claimed that it has to get pending dues of around ₹143.78 crore, disputed since 2019. The department said the amount claimed has not been admitted and is therefore not payable. It added that the government has sufficient funds to continue CT and MRI services and that rightful payments would be released after due verification.

Irregularities

Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao told The Hindu that the dispute dates back to 2019 and involves disagreements over billing and annual escalation. “They are asking for over ₹140 crore. We found certain irregularities. In some cases, when one scan was required, multiple scans were billed. We said we cannot release payments that are not properly vetted,” he said.

The Minister said the government had shifted payments to the SAST model, which reduced costs. “We will pay what is legitimately due, but we cannot accept inflated claims. Alternative arrangements have been made in neighbouring hospitals and medical colleges. Patients can get scans free of cost. There is no problem for the public,” he said, adding that further action would be considered against the company if the dispute persisted.

Opposition’s attack

Meanwhile, Leader of the Opposition R. Ashok alleged that Karnataka’s public healthcare system was “crumbling” under the Congress government. Sharing a copy of the company’s letter on X, he said ₹143.78 crore in dues had been pending for three years.

“Rs 143.78 crores unpaid. Three years of delay. Repeated representations ignored. This is not a minor administrative lapse. This is financial paralysis in the Health Department,” he posted.

Mr. Ashok said essential diagnostic services were under threat and asked why payments had not been cleared. He demanded that Chief Minister Siddaramaiah take responsibility and sought the removal of the Health Minister.

The diagnostics firm, in a February 15 letter to the Mission Director, National Health Mission, Karnataka, had warned that it would suspend CT and MRI services from February 18 if at least ₹50 crore was not released as interim payment.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *