The Nilgiris district administration has issued first notices to more than 900 potentially illegal buildings in the district to submit documents, following orders of the Madras High Court.

Nilgiris district Collector, Lakshmi Bhavya Tanneeru told reporters on Monday the notices had been issued to commercial and residential buildings to submit relevant documents. She said that if the respondents submitted the documents on time, then the notices would be withdrawn. She said that around 75 illegal buildings have also been sealed.

“Last week, when we received information that work was being undertaken in a sealed building, an FIR was filed against the building owner and contractor as well,” said the Collector stating that the district administration was initiating strict action against violators.

She also added that teams have been formed at the local body level, which have been tasked to visit building sites and submit reports directly to the district administration about potential illegal buildings and whether work was being undertaken in illegal, sealed buildings.

The Collector also said that members of the public who notice illegal constructions can also inform the district administration through a dedicated helpline at 94427-72709.

In order to help residents navigate the rules surrounding gaining permissions for building constructions, they can also contact another helpline number – 94427-72701, where they can get guidance as to what permissions are required and which offices they would need to approach. They can contact the numbers, mention the area, get a clear picture of what No-Objection Certificates (NOCs) are required and how they can apply for them and to check on their status, said the Collector.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *