The forest safari had been suspended in the wake of tiger attacks in November last year.

The forest safari had been suspended in the wake of tiger attacks in November last year.
| Photo Credit: File photo

After a gap of more than three months, safari operations resumed at Bandipur forest, near here, on Sunday.

The Forest Department officials have not only brought down the number of safari vehicles, but also reduced the duration of safari.

The forest safari, which had been suspended in the wake of tiger attacks in November, has been resumed following orders issued by the government to resume safari operations, subject to certain conditions.

According to Naveen Kumar, Assistant Conservator of Forests, Bandipur Tiger Reserve Sub-division, the Forest Department had deployed nine safari vehicles, including seven buses and two campers, in the morning session and eight vehicles, including eight buses and two campers, in the afternoon session.

Similarly, Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd. has been permitted to operate six safari vehicles in the morning and evening.

Unlike earlier when safari operations extended up to the eight hours a day, Mr. Naveen Kumar said safari had been restricted to five hours daily at present. Safari operations would be held only from 6.30 a.m. to 9 a.m. in the morning session and from 3.30 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the evening session.

In view of the opposition to resumption of safari operations from various farmers’ outfits, police personnel had been deployed both at Bandipur safari point.

The resumption of safari has also marked the return to safari duties by 15 drivers and 18 safari guides, who had been deployed for combing operations during the last three and a half months. 

The drivers and safari guides, who had become insecure about their jobs, were relieved with the government’s decision to resume safari operations.

Meanwhile, Range Forest Officer, Bandipur Tiger Reserve, Mallesh, said the visitors were not allowed to carry any electronic devices during the safari.

“We are following the National Tiger Conservation Authority guidelines,” he said.

When a tiger was sighted, the drivers had been instructed to maintain silence and proceed within five minutes without giving any room for disturbing the wildlife, he added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *