Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre.

Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre.
| Photo Credit: File Photo

Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre has instructed forest department officials to strictly enforce the conditions stipulated for the resumption of safaris in Bandipur and Nagarhole forests.

Chairing a meeting of forest officials from Mysuru, Kodagu, and Chamarajanagar in Mysuru on Friday ahead of the scheduled resumption of safaris from Saturday, Mr. Khandre said an official order detailing the stipulated conditions will likely be issued by the government by Saturday evening.

Safaris had been suspended in Bandipur and Nagarhole since November 2025 in the wake of human-tiger conflict in the region.

The government had decided to permit the deployment of only 50% of the safari vehicles and staff that were in use before the suspension of the operations in November 2025.

Mr. Khandre warned that the officials concerned will be held accountable for any violation of the conditions stipulated in the government order. The safaris should be primarily conducted using buses, while the use of campers and jeeps should be kept to a minimum. Clear orders in this regard will be issued, he added.

Preventing wildlife from straying out of forests

Officials have been directed to identify areas of human–wildlife conflict in Bandipur and Nagarahole forest regions and intensify patrolling in such zones. 

“Precautions must be taken to prevent wildlife from entering human habitations and causing loss of life or damage to crops,” Mr. Khandre said.

A 100 km stretch along the Bandipur forest boundary has been identified as highly sensitive, he said and added that 25 camps should be set up at every 5 km interval, with residents appointed as “forest friends” to monitor wildlife movement. 

He asked the forest officials to submit proposals for facilities such as thermal drones and vehicles to be submitted in writing.

Protection of human life a priority

Alongside wildlife conservation, protecting the lives of people living on forest fringes must be the Forest Department’s top priority, Mr. Khandre said. Equal emphasis should also be given to safeguarding the crops of the farmers, he added.

He said 35% of the revenue generated from safari operations should be allocated for the skill training of youth in forest-fringe villages and for supporting children’s education, besides providing fodder for cattle.

Emphasising the importance of support and co-operation of the local communities in forest and wildlife conservation, the Minister said forest staff must engage with locals in a cordial manner, win their confidence, and involve them in conservation efforts.

E-patrolling

Mr. Khandre also directed the regular staff of the Forest Department to mandatorily use the internally developed e-patrolling software.

The outsourced staff in tiger reserves should use the e-stripe system, he said.

“Wildlife movement should be monitored through an integrated command centre, and immediate instructions should be issued to concerned field officials. Complaints and information received via the helpline number 1926 must be responded to promptly,” he said.

The Minister also directed officials to take measures to prevent forest fires in Nagarahole, Bandipur, and BRT regions during the summer. “Adequate steps must also be taken to ensure that wildlife such as tigers, leopards, and elephants do not venture out of forests due to lack of food or water during the dry season,” he added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *