Iran’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Amir-Saeid Iravani. File | Photo Credit: Reuters Iran on Thursday (February 20, 2026) warned that U.S. bases, facilities, and assets would be “legitimate targets” if the United States follows through on its military threats and attacks. Amir Saeid Iravani, the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, made the remarks in a letter to U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the president of the Security Council that was seen by AFP. President Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets, and other military hardware to the Middle East as he seeks to block Iran from building a nuclear bomb, something Tehran says it is not pursuing. The letter cited a social media post by Mr. Trump on Wednesday (February 18, 2026), where he said the United States may need to use U.K. military bases, including one on an Indian Ocean island, “should Iran decide not to make a deal.” “Such a belligerent statement by the President of the United States signals a real risk of military aggression, the consequences of which would be catastrophic for the region and would constitute a grave threat to international peace and security,” Mr. Iravani wrote in the letter. He called for the Security Council — the U.N.’s top decision-making body, where Washington has veto power — to “ensure that the United States immediately ceases its unlawful threats of the use of force.” The letter said Iran remains committed “to diplomatic solutions” and “on a reciprocal basis, addressing ambiguities regarding its peaceful nuclear programme.” But Mr. Iravani warned if Iran faced military aggression, “all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets in the context of Iran’s defensive response.” Mr. Trump has repeatedly threatened military action against Iran, citing a deadly crackdown on anti-government protesters last month then more recently over its nuclear program. On Thursday (February 19, 2026), Mr. Trump said that Iran had at most 15 days to make a deal and again suggested that the United States would attack if failed to do so. His comments followed talks on Tuesday (February 10, 2026) in Geneva between U.S. envoys Steve Witkoff and the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, who met indirectly with Iran’s top diplomat, who said that there was progress. A previous attempt at negotiations collapsed when Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran last June, beginning a 12-day war that Washington briefly joined to bomb Iranian nuclear sites. Published – February 20, 2026 09:33 am IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Starlink loss a blow to Russian forces in Ukraine, say experts Ekki Homa launches sewage pumps for the Indian market