Residents say the land had remained a dump yard with stagnant water for years before they mobilised funds to level it. They conduct public events on the reclaimed space. | Photo Credit: T. Arvind A proposal by the Tambaram Corporation to construct a Senior Citizens’ Recreation Centre on a land allocated for Open Space Reservation (OSR) at Nemilichery in Chromepet has triggered opposition from residents, who insist that the site be developed exclusively as a park. Members of the English Electric Nagar Residents’ Welfare Association (RWA) and Om Sakthi Nagar Extension RWA said the five-ground parcel in Ward 22 had long been earmarked by the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority for park development. Residents’ objections Padmanabhan, an association secretary, said the land had remained a dump yard with stagnant water for years before residents mobilised funds to level it with clay and mud. “We reclaimed the space and have been using it to conduct community events such as Republic Day, Independence Day, and Pongal celebrations. Any permanent construction will shrink the park area without tangible benefit,” he said. Residents have urged the Corporation to avoid closed or permanent structures at the site. Instead, they have demanded a landscaped park with walking tracks, a children’s play area, lighting and seating facilities. “This will be cost-effective and fulfil our long-pending demand,” said Sasi Kumar, a resident. Corporation’s stand Corporation officials said a proposal to establish a recreation centre with yoga and gym facilities, along with a public park and other amenities, at an estimated cost of over ₹4 crore, had been placed before the council. Tambaram Corporation Commissioner S. Balachandran said the OSR land was vested with the government and fell within the civic body’s authority. “The facility will benefit senior citizens in the locality and remain government-administered,” he said, dismissing concerns that it could turn into a private commercial establishment. Only housekeeping services would be outsourced, as is the norm, he added. Mr. Balachandran also clarified that only 30% of the land would be used for construction, with the remaining 70% developed as a park. Residents alleged that the local councillor had not fulfilled his earlier promise to develop a park at the site. Residents say that the Pallavaram MLA E. Karunanidhi, who visited the location recently, had assured them that no development contrary to public interest would be approved. While the Corporation maintains that the project would serve senior citizens, residents reiterated that they were not opposed to welfare measures but sought optimal utilisation of the land as a full-fledged public park. Published – February 20, 2026 12:51 am IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Man arrested for befriending family, cheating them of gold jewellery Perambur residents flag encroachments, put forth demands