A tea staller clears snow from his stall at Doodhpathri in Budgam district in central Kashmir, 45 kilometres from Srinagar on Tuesday (February 17, 2026). The destination, which closed after the Pahalgam attack in April 2025, was reopened on Monday (February 16, 2026).

A tea staller clears snow from his stall at Doodhpathri in Budgam district in central Kashmir, 45 kilometres from Srinagar on Tuesday (February 17, 2026). The destination, which closed after the Pahalgam attack in April 2025, was reopened on Monday (February 16, 2026).
| Photo Credit: IMRAN NISSAR

J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Thursday (February 19, 2026) that all the tourist destinations in Kashmir, which were closed after the Pahalgam attack “will be reopened by May”. “The J&K Government has discussed the matter with the Union government,” Mr. Abdullah told the J&K Assembly.

At least 44 tourist destinations across Kashmir were closed after a terrorist attack in Pahalgam in 2025 left 26 people, mainly tourists, dead. Around 30 destinations have been re-opened in a phased manner so far.

Mr. Abdullah also said tourists who visit the Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine could become a resource. “Even if we divert 10% of that footfall to places like Bhaderwah or border tourism spots, it has the potential to invigorate tourism in the Jammu region,” Mr. Abdullah said.

Mr. Abdullah said the J&K government intends to open new destinations and market them, though it was always difficult to sell a new destination. “Kashmir, once described as a summer destination, has changed. The tourism period is a prolonged one now,” he added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *