Federation of State Farmers’ Organisations has condemned Forest Minister Eshwar Khandre’s decision to allow resumption of safari operations in the jungles.

Reacting to the Forest Minister’s decision, President of the Federation Kurubur Shanthakumar urged the Government to immediately withdraw the permission for the safari, and warned that the farmers will be forced to take to the streets and launch an agitation if the permission for operating jungle safari is not withdrawn.

He alleged that the Government’s permission had been granted for safari operations under pressure from wealthy resort owners, ignoring the hardships faced by the farmers living in villages on the fringes of the forests, and despite the frequent incidents of wild animals causing loss of human lives.

“Safaris conducted inside forests frighten wild animals, forcing them to move out of their habitats, leading to attacks on humans and destruction of farmers’ crops. Although the government is aware of these consequences, it has still permitted safari operations under pressure,” Mr. Kurubur Shanthakumar said in a statement here on Wednesday.

He pointed out that the government itself is stating that the population of wild animals is increasing, while forest areas are shrinking. In such a situation, animals are forced to move outside forests due to hindrance to their free movement within shrinking habitats due to the jungle safaris, he said.

For the Government, revenue should not be the priority. Instead, safety and livelihood of people must come first, he said, while urging the Forest Minister to withdraw the decision without yielding to any pressure.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *