With the concrete panels reportedly cracking and shifting under the weight of construction machinery, serious concerns have been raised over the structural integrity of the newly constructed reinforced soil (RS) retaining walls along the National Highway 66 at Kottiyam and Parakkulam in the district. Residents and local action groups allege that the walls are on the verge of collapse as the concrete structures struggle to withstand the internal pressure of the earth filling. While the construction company initially dismissed the damage as minor chipping caused by cranes during the installation of the panels, residents allege that the firm carried out extensive maintenance work using cement in several completed sections. Superficial repairs “The superficial nature of these repairs was exposed last week when heavy tipper trucks and road rollers moved onto the elevated highway for tarring works. The vibrations and immense pressure caused the previously repaired sections to break apart and fall off, signalling deeper structural instability,” said Riyas Rasheed, who is part of the joint front of protestors demanding a viaduct instead of RS walls. The Kottiyam Samyukta Samara Samiti points out that since the current damage occurred under the weight of a few construction vehicles, a total structural failure is inevitable when vehicles including heavy freight lorries begin plying the route once it is commissioned. In the Parakkulam area, RS panels had already begun bulging outward last month, suggesting that the earth beneath is settling unevenly. “Investigations following a previous accident at Mylakkad revealed that the soil composition in the region includes a layer of soft and slushy part extending up to eight metres deep. Alarmingly, soil testing in Kottiyam was reportedly conducted only after 80% of the construction was finalised. This lack of foundational assessment is being cited as the primary reason for the cracks and structural shifts seen in the Kottiyam and Parakkulam sectors, as the heavy embankments were built on unstable ground without adequate reinforcement,” said the protesters. PWD assurance In response to a complaint filed by the Samara Samiti, the Public Works department (PWD) had assured that expert agencies have been appointed to study the highway structures and that any decision on reconstruction will be taken only after considering the social concerns. “We have also moved the High Court, demanding that the failing earthen embankments be completely demolished,” they added. Published – February 18, 2026 05:45 pm IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Home Minister inaugurates dedicated police outpost at Mangaluru International Airport Watch: Avalanche hits Zermatt ski resort in Switzerland