Regarding Amit Shah’s scheduled visit, the BDF hoped it would help resolve issues relating to “underdevelopment and deprivation” in the landlocked region. File | Photo Credit: The Hindu GUWAHATI Ahead of Home Minister Amit Shah’s scheduled visit to Barak Valley in southern Assam, a political party has urged him to publish a White Paper on how many “illegal infiltrators” were ejected from India since 2014. In an open letter to Mr. Shah on Monday (February 16, 2026), the Barak Democratic Front (BDF) said it had been noting his repeated promises at public rallies to expel each infiltrator from Assam. The BDF, which caters to Bengali nationalism in southern Assam comprising three districts, said the Border Security Force and other security personnel were employed to check infiltration along the country’s international borders. “If illegal infiltration continues despite your efforts, is it not a failure or lapse on your part?” the BDF asked, pointing out that Mr. Shah, as the Home Minister, was the “supreme authority” bestowed with the task of checking illegal human infiltration as it threatens the security of the country. “We are interested to know how many illegal infiltrators have been detected and expelled during the last 10 years of your party’s rule at the Centre and in Assam,” the party said, seeking a White Paper from Mr. Shah to prove that the government walks the talk. The letter, signed by BDF’s chief convener Pradip Dutta Roy and five others, said taking the process of updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) to a logical conclusion would automatically ensure the detection of illegal infiltrators in Assam. About 19.06 lakh out of 3.3 crore applicants were excluded from the complete draft of the NRC published in August 2019. The exercise has since been in limbo, as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wants the names on the list re-verified. The BDF said reactivating the NRC process would resolve the long-standing issue of infiltrators for good, but it lamented that the BJP-led Centre and the State Government lacked interest in the NRC despite spending more than ₹1,600 crore on it. Requesting Mr. Shah to complete the pending NRC in Assam, the BDF urged him to address any lapses along the border, complete the process of fencing the border and instal modern electronic surveillance systems to check infiltration. It pointed out that action, not mere rhetoric, was expected of him. Referring to Mr. Shah’s scheduled visit, the BDF hoped it would help resolve issues relating to “underdevelopment and deprivation” in the landlocked region. Published – February 16, 2026 11:10 pm IST Share this: Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email More Click to print (Opens in new window) Print Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Pocket Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon Click to share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky Like this:Like Loading... Post navigation Watch: Around 30 evacuated after regional train derails in Swiss Alps SFI extends support to protesting nursing graduates